Charlton is a small rural town along the CSX tracks today. This was once a busy place during WM days. Charlton had a two track main line and two tracks that once served a grain service here which although closed, can still be seen today. Charlton was once the site of a branch line. This branch line was known at the Williamsport Nessle and Martinsburg Railway and was completed on June 7, 1915. The line left here and curved away toward the Potomac River where it crossed on a bridge to reach a quarry in West Virginia. The line was surveyed in to Martinsburg and on to Charles Town W. Va. where it would have crossed the mountains and wound up in Potomac Yard. The quarry closed in the early 1930's and the bridge was washed away in 1936. For a time, the WM still had hopes of keeping this vision and kept 1 man employed to walk and hammer at the right of way to keep the charter alive! Later on June 25, 1937 the Williamsport, Nessle, and Martinsburg RY was abandoned. Notice the old railroad grade as it leaves Charlton and winds down to the river.
View Larger Map
This is a chart for Ashton , as it must ahve been a place of business for the WM at one time. Ashton Road crosses here and is seen in te photo below.
Train D721 is seen crossing Ashton Rd. between Big Spring and Charlton on July 27, 1996 at 1:40pm. Notice the crossbucks still read "2 TRACKS".
A eastbound coal train with pushers roar down a slight grade through Charlton as pick up speed before atacking "The hill".
Westbound D721 is having a time pulling its train up out of the Potomac River Valley as it grinds through Charlton.
This is the bridge and quarry of the Williamsport Nessle & Martinsburg Railway across the C&O Canal and Potomac River. The Williamsport, Nessle, and Martinsburg RY line came off the WM mainline at Charleton and crossed the Potomac at a place known as Miller's Bend. The line ran southward for about a mile then switch backed into the quarry. You can still see this quarry by looking across the river and the bridge piers along the canal. (Nessle Quarry tipple photo, Randy Anderson Collection)
A letter to the President of the WMRY explaining how trains switched Nessle's Quarry and suggestions for improvements. (Dave Cline Collection)
The above four and below image are from Harry Spade. These are photos from his families collection taken in the Nessle Quarry location.
Amos Spade and Wilbur Moats posing for a photo on the hopper car. (thanks to Harry spade for photo)