Jerome formally known as "Baird" was once the longest passing siding on the entire WM West Sub at 12,416ft. The passing siding had spring switches at both the East End (B136.4) and the West End (B138.8) with switch heaters and a set of crossovers in the middle at the train order office (B137.6). The WM also had a 486ft. side track here that was mostly used for maintance-of-way equipment. The train-order office when in use, operated 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. daily except Saturdays and Sundays until it was closed on September 1, 1959. It was never torn down by the Chessie System during abandoment in May 1975. It still is in good shape today and is a reminder of the WM mainline that once passed through here. There was once a connection with the B&O low line at the B137.0 milepost. It was later removed when the B&O abandoned the lowline in 1961.
View Larger Map