1922 and 2012 topo maps
47-40ft. car capacity sidetrack. The "Chaffee Branch" to two coal mines left the main line and crossed the river into Maryland. The bridge piers for this branch are still here today and can be seen in the Google satelitte image. The branch ran up a valley to "Earl Mine" at the C42.3 and ended at "Trout" at the 42.8. "Chaffee" was original on the old railroad alignment and is not under water. Chaffee is still a name on the new railroad aligment around Bloomington Lake.
View Larger Map