At Williamsport the Western Maryland had a short branch that was completed in 1873 to reach the C&O Canal. This was the main line as the tracks did not go any farther west until constructed to connect to the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad at Cherry Run in 1892. Back at Williamsport a coal off loading facility was constructed to offload coal and other supplies from canal boats for transfer to railcars. The coal was then hauled east at a much faster pase to the Port of Baltimore. With this new connection, it gave the C&O Canal and WMRR new competition against the B&O RR who at the time had the fastest route between Cumberland and the ports at Baltimore. After the canal days were gone that branch was only kept alive by a few local business with the biggest being the large coal burning Potomac Edison power plant. Sometime in the mid-1950's the power plant began receiving coal by truck and the branch was no longer in use. Later in 1974 the branch was upgraded as the power plant again began receiving coal by rail. This went on for only 9 months when the power plant switched back to coal delivery by truck. Most of the track towards the end of the line was left and still remains today. The lift bridge was reported to be in working order. Only one section of the old right-of-way has changed. This change is along the road by the creek where a building was built atop the right-of-way. The branch will most likely never see another train again.
View Larger Map